Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Yummo Street Food

It appears that Yummo has closed up for good. I was in there Monday or Tuesday for a froyo and noticed that only half the flavors were there and the toppings bar was only half filled. I guess they were just selling through the rest of the froyo.

What’s going in next? I don’t know, but I can tell you what I’d like to see. I think they hit a homerun by selling the Korean BBQ tacos. The 3 tacos for $2 was a great deal and tasted great too. I think even if they were $1/taco I would still go once a week. But I would expand on the idea and make it into a street food stand.

I don’t know how much this idea is inspired from this weeks “No Reservations” special on street food, probably not much since I thought of it last week. But I would really like to pick up corn dogs, tacos, Korean tacos, grilled chicken, gyros, kebabs, some kind of meat on a spit etc. from the place. I’m assuming Rob Dalzell still holds the lease to the place and I trust he could come up with a simple 10 item menu.

The Power and Light district has nothing like this within its confines. The sausage carts are set up across 13th and many people don’t carry the cash necessary to engage in commerce with the carts. Street food with a little bit of ethnic flair could be a big seller, especially after 10 PM. A nice size lunch crowd hits the block where Yummo is so it would get plenty of eyeballs. Not everyone has time for a sit down lunch so street food is a great option. Plus, there’s plenty of places to sit in the area so you can turn much of the retail space into cooking area.

Rob could also create some P&L branding and call it ChefStreet. ChefStreet right next to ChefBurger (Rob’s other P&L place) could become a destination for grilled meats.

I don’t know, maybe I’m crazy but I’d much rather see ChefStreet than something like Panera.

6 comments:

Average Jane said...

That would be awesome! If something like that does happen, I hope they think to offer cold drinks as part of the equation this time around.

Unknown said...

YES!!!! I will be at the food truck every day!

Maria said...

Oh what I'd give to get doner kebab in KC! That's stuff's addictive.

rdbrown27 said...

This is a great idea. I don't live in KC anymore but if there had been such a place when I worked at 8th and Grand I would have gladly walked my happy ass down there at least 2-3 times a week.

Anonymous said...

Its still open. Was there today. Oh the lies.

Unknown said...

I heard that they'd tentatively/temporarily opened back up, BUT sans tacos. Just the yogurt. So really...what's the point?